Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kanye West VH1 Storytellers

So last night on VH1 the much talked about Kanye West edition of VH1's Storytellers finally aired. For those of you who don't know, Storytellers is a mini-concert in which the artist featured gives intermission speeches about their music, sort of like an musical review of each song.

That set design was something else, just something beautiful. Kanye performed a bevy of his hits, a few of the classics and the newer ones from 808's & Heartbreak. Kanye is truly an artist of our time, putting himself into each and every song he performed that night. A personal favorite of mine was "Robocop", I cannot wait until the video is released for it. I do not know but the violin is my favorite instrument to listen to in contemporary music, "Viva La Vida" people. I also couldn't help but jam to the "Good Life" performance, it's just a feel-good song.

Okay so here is the downfall of the whole show. Eventhough the show had a run-time of one and a half hours I probably caught a decent hour. Reason being, I just couldn't bear to hear Kanye continue to feed that ego of his. Both S and I agree Kanye is a genius musician but it is overshadowed by his self-indulgent ramblings. As always Kanye speaks from the heart but he must think that gives him the right to praise himself as the next coming of Jesus or something. I honestly do not think the audience knew what they were hearing because they were cheering for that foolishness. I don't know if I could work for a celebrity for too long, they all seem to be surrounded by YES people and after I warm up I'd be quick to tell them no especially, when it's not in his/her best interest.

With that said watch the perfomances below.


Part 1 (See You In My Nightmares, Robocop, Flashing Lights & Amazing)


Part 2 (Touch The Sky & Say You Will)


Part 3 (Good Life, Heartless/Pinocchio Story & Stronger)