Monday, February 2, 2009

You Must Not Cry Defeated One



Via: Fox Sports

Oh boy, don't I remember the days when I never missed a single Tennis event; Wimbledon, Australian Open, U.S. Open... Although I occassionally check once in awhile, it doesn't seem that much has changed, well at least in the women's division. Serena Williams won her 10th Grand Slam Title by defeating Danira Safira 6-0, 6-3 in Melbourne, Australia at the 2009 Australian Open. Williams was quoted as saying:

"I actually forgot until the end when I was saying hi to my box. They're like, 'Hey, you're No. 1.' I was like, 'Oh, yeah,"' she said.

"I always believe I'm the best, whether I'm No. 1 or 100," she said. "Just having that extra bonus is pretty cool."

"I always bring an outfit for the championships," she said. "I always try to think positive, and I think it helps me be able to win."

As for the men's title, Spanish tennis pro Rafael Nadal defeated Roger Federer yet again. Nadal defeted Federer in five sets (7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2). It must really be a dream killer for a younger and better player like Nadal to get in your way of meeting your goal. Federer has been aiming at matching Tennis great, Peter Sampras' 14 major titles but has been defeated three times by Nadal.

"God, it's killing me," Federer said, crying, as he tried at first to accept the runner-up plate.

He returned to congratulate Nadal within minutes, saying: "You deserved it. You played a fantastic final."

"Roger, sorry for today. I really know how you feel right now," Nadal said. "Remember, you're a great champion, you're one of the best in history. You're going to improve on the 14 of Sampras."

How mature it is that two very competitive men can get beyond their egos and show a little humility by displaying good sportsmanship to each other. Better luck next time Federer.

View the Full Post for images from the two championship matches at the 2009 Australian Open.
Show/Hide Full Post

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket