Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Inaugural Balls: Performances 'n' Such

Beyonce "At Last" (First Dance for the president couple Barack and Michelle Obama)
This was the show stopper of the night, the dance of course not Beyonce. Don't get insulted now her performance was up there but in standard Beyonce fashion it was very "All Eyes on Me". I understand the emotion she was trying to convey but she just does not let anyone upstage her. Back to the couple of the evening, this dance was so admirable. It makes many who watched want to take a more conservative route with their relationship. Well I'll speak for myself when I say I cannot wait to have a beautiful wife of my own who I can dance the night away with.


Jay-Z "History"
This song got me from when it first leaked and to see it performed live with the guy who sings the background vocals, this could not have been a better choice for Jay-Z to perform. As a matter of fact I am putting this song back at the top of the C.S. Box.


Mariah Carey "Hero"
I hate to say this but this performance was not...let's just say music to my ears. Ms. Carey is still far beyond the younger generation of R&B/Pop as far as vocals go but this just wasn't up to her own level.


Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Shakira, Adam Levine, Faith Hill, Sting, Stevie Wonder & Alicia Keys - "Signed Seal Delivered"
An all star crew of singers singing a classic. What else is there to say.


Alicia Keys "No One"
In my opinion, the best performance of the night. The raw emotion minus the Hollywood fakeness and attention. This song is timeless and Alicia always makes her music and performs for the right reasons. Was it me or did Kate Walsh sound a little tipsy.


Sting "Brand New Day" feat. Stevie Wonder
I love to see veterans kick ass on stage and Stevie Wonder kills it with the harmonica as always.


Stevie Wonder
MR. STEVIE WONDER! How does he do it? For someone who has been in the music industry so long he is still requested for the big events and respected and awarded for his work. TIMELESS I SAY!


Mary J. Blige "Just Fine"
"Fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, ooooh" This songs gets me everytime. Gotta give it to Mary J. and her soulful voice.


Faith Hill "If My Heart Had Wings"
Love this song, the melody is something else. Faith Hill always delivers and having to listen to her everytime I ride in my mother's car, it's what I'm used to.


Will.I.Am "A New Day"
This was a great song to open the ball with. It got the crowd pumping and it has a catchy beat.


Shakira "The Right Side of the Road"
This performance has me in anticipation of a new Shakira LP. Who knew she could play the harmonica? She put a smile on my face, 'cause she always brings the sex appeal, tossing that hair in hair in her arms.


Maroon 5 "This Love"
Watching the gang perform kept it alive. Although, they should have chose a different song to perform, something just a little bit more related to the event.


Kanye West "Heartless" Medley
Then there was the Youth Ball, Kanye killed it with this performance. He's so full of life and energy.


Jazmine Sullivan
Sullivan did her thing and gave the audience what they deserved.


by


Nas "Black President"
Nas delivered with the spitfire lyrics. Glad to see he's keeping Hip-Hop alive.


by


Common "Universal Mind Control"
Common is such a cool cat. He's a true MC and "Universal Mind Control" is my jam so of course this was a good performance.